Auto & General is the Australian arm of a private global group with 8,000 employees across 31 offices and over 8.9 million customers worldwide.
In Australia, Auto & General launched in 2000 and has grown to provide industry-leading motor, home and travel insurance products both directly through Budget Direct and via leading partnerships. With an Australian team of 1800+, Auto & General has a vision to be become Australia’s best insurer. As a leading challenger brand, Auto & General has experienced strong organic growth in Australia and has ambitious plans for continued future growth and business success.
About the role:
Part of the Product, Pricing & Underwriting leadership team, the General Manager of Lifestyle Product & Underwriting holds a pivotal role in the company, driving the definition and execution of top-tier product offerings and underwriting processes that align with the broader corporate strategy. The primary mission is to cultivate an exceptional product value proposition for both existing and prospective customers by continuously fostering product innovation and improvement.
At the helm of specialised Lifestyle Product and Underwriting teams, this leader bears the responsibility of fulfilling Auto and General’s ambitions for growth and profitability. Striking a delicate balance between operational and strategic priorities, whilst considering commercial objectives, customer satisfaction, and regulatory compliance while also meeting internal service level agreements. Collaboration with various internal stakeholders across functions is vital to maximise value across the entire product cycle.
Moreover, the General Manager is entrusted with the critical task of evaluating the company's current product portfolio, underwriting methodologies, and overall operational processes. Armed with both qualitative and quantitative acumen and a keen sense of commercial confidence, they challenge the status quo and champion continuous improvement and optimisation. Key to the success of the role, will be the development of innovative strategies to enhance internal efficiency, streamline processes, and ultimately improve customer outcomes, all while ensuring strict adherence to company policies and industry regulations.
Specifically, key accountabilities include:
- Build and develop specialist capability to deliver upon A&G’s product and business strategies.
- General Management of the portfolio of lifestyle products, including Motorcycle, Travel and Pet Insurance.
- Lead the Lifestyle Product and Underwriting teams/ functions to develop new and enhance existing home insurance products.
- Develop and implement underwriting and product strategies, including responses to regulatory requirements.
- As a key contributor to the Pricing & Underwriting Committee, propose and manage changes, ensuring positive cost/benefit analysis.
- Research, review and monitor Australian and International product and underwriting landscape, including the impact of market and regulatory changes to product construct and underwriting practices.
- Liaise with other divisions and stakeholders to facilitate process changes, new sales channels and marketing opportunities and support other divisions and teams with customer facing technical and training issues.
- Oversee management of all Lifestyle Underwriting decisions – sales, renewals, amendments, and claims, and write, review, and maintain policy (PDS) and customer documents.
- Contribute to improving customer journeys, experience, and service levels.
- Develop, implement, and continuously monitor key performance metrics of the Lifestyle portfolio.
- Provide oversight and early intervention into the achievement of key performance metrics and an early understanding of emerging trends.
- Building a team and creating a culture that continues to deliver high performance with high integrity.
To be considered for the position, you will be an exceptional Insurance leader who demonstrates extensive experience and record of achievements at a senior level across the insurance or financial services sectors. As a master of product development, underwriting, portfolio management, or pricing, you know what it takes to drive profitable growth in this space. You're a true innovator, constantly exploring new ideas and developing contemporary practices that push the boundaries of what's possible.
The ideal candidate will have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of short-tail insurance trends and best practices, including product features and benefits, underwriting rules/guidelines, and rating methods, with a focus on profitable growth. You will also bring a strong understanding of relevant regulatory regimes, compliance, and insurance legislation, as well as risk appetites and risk management techniques, and the ability to apply them as appropriate.
Strong leadership experience in senior roles, with a demonstrated ability to innovate and develop contemporary practices will be essential in this pivotal appointment for the business. Critical to the success of this role, will be the ability to build and lead high-performing teams, with experience mentoring, coaching, and developing team members. Strong relationship management, collaboration, and influencing skills are also essential, with the ability to build credibility and trust to engage and influence stakeholders.
This role has been designed with the future state in mind, and therefore an executive with a track record in identifying opportunities for change and leading improvement initiatives will be a key requirement for this senior appointment.
For a strictly confidential discussion, please contact Callan Raine, Director - Executive on 0411 686 652. Alternatively, you can request an Executive Briefing pack by emailing email@example.com
Submit your application (CV and cover letter) via the apply button.