Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG), is an investment advisor and wholly owned subsidiary of John Hancock/Manual Life Financial Corporation. HNRG is based in Boston, and is made up of two core businesses, Hancock Agricultural Investment Group (HAIG), which develops and manages farmland investments and Hancock Timber Resource Group (HTRG), which develops and manages timberland investments.
HNRG have specific growth plans for the next 5 years and are therefore now looking to attract an Associate Director of Business Development who will play a crucial role in driving this growth across the Asia Pacific region.
About the role
The Associate Director, Business Development Asia Pacific, will play a key role in supporting institutional sales throughout Asia Pacific for private investments in agriculture and timberland via individually managed accounts and commingled funds. The individual will work closely with the HNRG Managing Director, Institutional Business Asia Pacific, HNRG Global Head of Business Development, other sales colleagues as well as a global team of investment and operational personnel. The incumbent will support the development and execution of a regionally focused marketing and sales strategy targeting Public/Corporate Plans, Endowments & Foundations, Sovereign Wealth, Large Family Offices, Consultants and Other Financial Advisors.
Business Development & Investor Relations
- Identify and develop new relationships with institutional clients throughout Asia Pacific
- Support the expansion of key HNRG client and prospect relationships in the region
- Support Manulife distribution teams in their agriculture and timber sales efforts as a product specialist
- Manage the sales process from first encounter through signed contract, with investment team support
- Participate in industry-related conferences in a public speaking capacity
- Maintain a solid understanding of the investment fundamentals, market dynamics, supply chains and operational characteristics of timberland and farmland investments
- Educate the market about HNRG and its investment philosophy, strategies, performance and core investment offerings
- Collaborate with the Business Development team and business unit leaders to support the development of new investment products and structures
- Grow and maintain active network of prospects and all activity in Salesforce
- Create and oversee timely and thorough responses to RFP/RFIs
- Support and/or lead the development and negotiation of key separate account proposals
About the person
- 8+ years of experience in institutional sales, investor relations, consultant relations or serving as a portfolio manager/product specialist, or another capital-raising capacity that includes exposure to timber or agriculture investments
- Successful track record of sourcing and or supporting capital raising efforts with a proven history of developing and maintaining strong, long-term institutional relationships
- Well-developed negotiation skills and ability to work effectively with prospects and their advisors and consultants
- Demonstrated ability to represent a multi-product firm
- Experience in or solid understanding of natural resource operations, preferably in timber and/or farmland operations
- Knowledge of the institutional investment market and current trends
- Strong communication skills with financial/analytical competency, and an ability to clearly convey technical investment information to non-technical audiences
- Confident presentation skills and capable of “rolling up the sleeves” to create and deliver a presentation or related investor/marketing material
- Several years of experience in the timber or timberland business is highly desirable
- High emotionally intelligence, excellent relationship skills, and a team player
- Capability to travel extensively throughout Asia Pacific
- Graduate degree in marketing, finance, economics, forestry, agriculture or resource economics
- An MBA, CFA or CAIA qualifications are highly desirable
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to join a business with extensive investment plans in the Australian agriculture market. If you would like to know more, please contact Graeme Lammie on 07 3054 1148.