The Cloud DevOps Engineer is responsible for undertaking the development and maintenance of a high quality, reliable, secure cloud platform for the Department’s corporate IT and federated IT areas. The Cloud DevOps Engineer is responsible for efficient development operations that balance service reliability and development team cadence across Azure Infrastructure through Azure DevOps CI/CD pipelines.
You will provide authoritative, independent, and confidential advice in cloud development operations. You will work hands-on with development and business operations teams to build and implement cloud infrastructure and support the migration of workloads to the cloud.
You will also play a key role in advancing the DevSecOps maturity of the department in consultation with providers of cloud platforms (Microsoft Azure), vendors of on-premise/cloud applications, development and testing service providers. The program is working on solutions within the Microsoft Power Platform, Microsoft Dynamics 365, Microsoft Azure API Management (for APIs/integration), identity/access management and security management (authentication/authorisation) solutions based primarily on a serverless architecture.
The Cloud DevOps Engineer operates within an Agile and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) working environment working closely with Product Managers, Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Lead Solution Architect, Test Lead and Lead DevOps Engineer to ensure implemented solutions align with the Department's Enterprise Architecture strategies/roadmaps and are released to production in accordance with technical change and business change methodologies.
The Cloud DevOps Engineer works within ISIP, whilst also working as a virtual member of the BAU Applications team of Information Technology Services, who are responsible for delivering high quality software development, maintenance and support services for the Department.
Working in partnership with the delivery and operational teams, the Cloud DevOps Engineer will:
- Provide input and guidance into application and product architecture and solution design discussions, contributing to the development of reliable, secure, and cost-efficient (whole of life) solutions
- Work closely with the Lead Solution Architect, Lead DevOps Engineer, Senior Software Developers and Senior (Automated) Test Analysts to drive CI/CD best practices including Infrastructure as Code, Configuration Management and Continuous Testing and Monitoring.
- Work closely with vendors to integrate disparate configuration management practices into a cohesive CI/CD pipeline enabling automated releases in a dynamic software development, integration development, external agency system integration (including identity brokers/providers), COTS/SaaS solution configuration and complex mixed-user environment (internal staff, external agency staff, external organisations and citizens).
- Work closely with IT Applications and Operations teams in the corporate IT unit as well as federated IT areas to ensure improvements in both capabilities and practices are embedded in the organisation
- On-board and streamline CI/CD processes for parts of the system that are currently not Continuously Integrated
- Implement automation and orchestration and regularly review/optimize CI/CD processes and tools (across Azure) to reduce manual tasks
- Monitor CI/CD practices across corporate IT and federated IT areas identifying opportunities to informally share knowledge, formally set/update standards or policies and leverage innovation between teams
- Apply infrastructure knowledge to lead practices/topics such as Load Balancing, Security Groups, API Gateways, DBMSs, DNS configuration, etc.
- Work with technical stakeholders to plan and migrate existing on-premise Microsoft products to cloud based equivalents (Azure)
- Monitor, manage, capacity and undertake planning & configuration of production and non-production Azure environments across
- Be pro-active, taking ownership of issues and pushing them through to resolution
- Provide advice to internal and external clients on cloud DevOps principles, practices and options
- Be a strong advocate for a DevSecOps culture across development and operations teams within an organisation with a federated IT structure
- Writing code and completing code reviews, scripting (python, powershell, bash, etc.)