Ranked in the world's top 50 and one of only three Australian members of the global Universitas 21, The University of Queensland (UQ) is one of Australia’s leading research and teaching institutions in Australia.
With a mission to deliver public good through excellence in education, research, and engagement, UQ has educated and worked with outstanding people for more than a century to deliver knowledge leadership for a better world.
The University of Queensland is a large and complex environment, employing around 16,000 employees (including 8000 casuals), and consists of 36 schools and 5 institutions. As an NFP, it is clear UQ’s values of creativity, excellence, truth, integrity, courage, respect, and inclusivity are at the core of the organisation, and UQ is committed to excellent experiences and outcomes for their students.
About the role:
This role is likely to be one of your major career highlights where you can positively influence the working environment of people impacting the world in compelling ways. Located in Brisbane, and reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the CHRO will collaborate as a member of the COO’s leadership team, ensuring a clear and sustained shared vision across the group.
The Human Resources division contributes to The University of Queensland’s mission by creating an environment that attracts, develops, and retains the right talent. With the overarching strategic goals in place, UQ is looking to appoint their new CHRO to help achieve operational excellence, bring the strategy to life, implement large-scale initiatives, and drive the vision for both the HR function and UQ.
With the team operating model in place, the CHRO will ensure alignment with the strategy and vision across the division. We are looking for a leader who can create a high-performance function that inspires others to follow your advice and make a positive impact within the university.
- Assist the Vice-Chancellor and Executive members in the strategic management of human resources within the university.
- Lead and bring to life the people strategy, ensuring enhancement around efficiencies and operational excellence.
- Continue to ensure the HR operating structure is the right structure to deliver and maximise ROI for the university.
- Develop a strong connection to the team. It is important to engage with and understand the group’s priorities, challenges, and capabilities.
- Maximise the current Workday implementation project as well as future HR technology platform investments.
- Although morale is high in the HR team, continue to build on this and ensure an exceptional culture underpins the HR division.
- Manage the HR risks for the university by ensuring consistent compliance with relevant policy, legislative, industrial, and governance frameworks.
Key to the success of this role will be strong leadership, problem-solving, and risk-management skills. The CHRO will have high emotional intelligence and high tenacity, with the ability to form exceptional relationships within the university.
- Demonstrated experience in leading large human resources functions within complex organisational environments.
- Experience in leading transformational change and influencing outcomes in a large organisation.
- Strong stakeholder and relationship management skills, driving change and outcomes through influencing will be key.
- Ability to manage risk effectively and develop systems to support complex HR functions.
- Experience working within, and managing, a complex industrial environment. This will include relationships with unions and managing enterprise agreements.
- Ability to focus on the strategic needs of the organisation while understanding the operational realities of the Human Resources function.
- Commitment to uphold the University’s values and outstanding personal qualities of openness, respectfulness, and integrity.
- Ability to identify opportunities for change and lead improvement initiatives.
Callan Raine, Director - Executive on 0411 686 652 or
Liana Callaghan, Founding Director on 0436 318 299.
Alternatively, you can request an Executive Briefing pack by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit your application (CV and cover letter) via the apply button