The Department of Employment, Small Business and Training (DESBT) is focused on increasing economic participation by providing the trusted advice and support that enables both sustainable small business opportunities and a skilled workforce now, and into the future.
The department has an important role in developing, supporting and sustaining a Queensland economy which encourages and drives employment outcomes – whether it’s for someone’s first job, next job, or their own job.
About the role:
Reporting directly to the Deputy Director-General Strategy, the Executive Director, Strategic Policy will be responsible for providing executive leadership and direction in the development of strategic policy advice which connects Queenslanders and businesses to skills, training and employment.
You will engage with stakeholders at local, state and national levels to ensure that advice to the Director-General and Minister is informed by robust consultation and engagement processes.
The successful executive will also be required to lead staff performance and contribute to the formulation of the division’s plans to ensure, as a member of the broader leadership group, that standards of service are consistent with departmental goals, priorities and customer expectations.
Key Skills Required:
To be considered for the position, you will be a strong people leader who demonstrates extensive experience and record of achievements in establishing effective strategic partnerships to ensure strong commitment to the design and implementation of new policies and systemic improvements.
Your strategic policy capability and experience as a senior leader are underpinned by your ability to lead key initiatives that deliver on government commitments and targets.
Success factors in this executive appointment also include:
- Develop and implement mechanisms for collecting, analysing and reporting on stakeholder views and preferences to support executive decision-making processes.
- Develop and implement project plans and systems that enable the improvement of, and increased economic outcomes for Queenslanders.
- Provide inspirational and ethical leadership within the workgroup, empowering your team to deliver excellence whilst fostering a healthy and inclusive workplace
- Maintain close liaison with other government departments, and national communities to encourage, promote and reinforce the department’s standing and commitment to economic readiness
- Lead research into portfolio policy and implementation options are based on empirical evidence.
The Executive Director will need to demonstrate integrity in all dealings; be honest and open; listen to and consider stakeholder views; demonstrate empathy; and act in a way that reflects the culture and values of the department.
Exceptional stakeholder relationship skills will be critical for this role as you will need to develop and foster essential networks and partnerships necessary to achieve DESBT’s required outcomes and targets.
For a strictly confidential discussion, please contact Callan Raine, Associate Director - Executive on (07) 3054 1143 / 0411 686 652. Alternatively, submit your application via the apply button, or email firstname.lastname@example.org