Auto & General is the Australian arm of a private global group, launched domestically in 2000 it has grown to provide industry-leading motor, home and travel insurance products both directly through Budget Direct and via industry leading partnerships. The General Manager Domestic Motor, reporting to the Associate Director Motor and Lifestyle Products, will play a central role in implementing and delivering best-in-class product offerings and underwriting processes.
The General Manager Domestic Motor is now available following an internal promotion, as a leader of specialist Motor Product and Underwriting teams, the General Manager Domestic Motor will ensure ongoing and sustainable out performance, whilst balancing operational and strategic priorities, taking into consideration commercial, customer and regulatory requirements.
The General Manager Domestic Motor will work closely with internal stakeholders to add value to the end-to-end Domestic Motor product cycle. You will improve the current product offering, underwriting approach and end-to-end processes to ensure market gain. You will be responsible for developing innovative strategies that optimise internal resources that deliver exceptional customer experiences.
- Lead, coach, develop, and manage the members of the Motor Product and Underwriting teams with an emphasis on developing technical capability, commercial acumen and customer focus.
- Develop and implement underwriting and product strategies, including responses to regulatory requirements.
- Explore new underwriting methodologies with a focus on automation and external databases.
- Oversee management of all Motor Underwriting decisions – sales, renewals, amendments and claims, and write, review and maintain policy (PDS) and customer documents.
- As a key member of the Pricing & Underwriting Committee propose and manage changes, ensuring positive cost/benefit analysis.
- Develop and challenge business cases in conjunction with relevant stakeholders.
- Research, review and monitor Australian and International product and underwriting landscape, including the impact of market and regulatory changes to product construct and underwriting practices;
- Collaborate to facilitate process changes, new sales channels and marketing opportunities and support other divisions.
- Contribute to the development of new and innovative white label solutions.
- Successful experience in consumer/private Motor product development, underwriting, portfolio management or pricing.
- Tertiary qualification in business, economics, commerce, finance, law or actuarial science.
- Professional qualification (e.g. ANZIIF) preferred; post-graduate degree is highly regarded.
- Experience of short-tail insurance trends, product features and benefits, underwriting rules.
- Knowledge of relevant regulatory regimes, compliance and insurance legislation.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead high-performing teams, with experience mentoring, coaching and developing team members.
- Strong relationship management, collaboration and influencing skills. Ability to build credibility and trust in order to engage and influence.
- Eligibility to become ASIC Responsible Manger.