Hancock Farmland Services Australia (“HFSA”) is a property management services business with an office in Brisbane, Australia. HFSA has a subsidiary, Farmland Management Services Australia (“FMSA”), which is a direct operator of farms in Australia. HFSA and FMSA provide farm management services for Hancock Agricultural Investment Group (“HAIG”) as part of HAIG’s integrated farmland investment management platform for institutional investors.
The group are continuing to grow successfully and have a strategic plan to continue this growth and deliver an investment schedule. This success has triggered a newly created position of Financial Controller, who will provide local leadership and management.
About the role
The Financial Controller will lead the HFSA Finance and Accounting team in Brisbane. This role will support the Vice President of Finance & Accounting in the oversight of the accounting functions for the various investment entities which hold and operate farmland on behalf of institutional clients and the accounting functions of HFSA and FMSA.
The Financial Controller will bring a dynamic leadership style and
take responsibility for a growing team of professionals. The team are responsible for delivering timely and accurate financial data to a variety of stakeholders within an expanding investment platform.
- Develop, mentor and manage a growing team to create a high performing culture.
- Build collaborative relationships with key stakeholders.
- Plan and allocate work and resources to ensure timely and accurate reporting and completion of periodic deliverables for client entities and management companies.
- Identify and implement process improvements to create efficiencies in reporting.
- Review financial and management deliverables to ensure they meet the highest standards of quality and stakeholder expectations.
- Ensure adherence to IFRS and/or GAAP and compliance with various tax or regulatory authorities.
- Lead and oversee the annual budget and quarterly reforecast process for client entities.
- Develop financial controls to ensure safeguarding of client assets and accuracy of financial reporting.
- Oversee implementation and upgrades for finance systems.
- Assist stakeholders with key initiatives such as acquisitions, client requests, etc. as needed.
- Assist with requirements of external and internal audits and periodic third-party reviews.
- Tertiary qualified with full CA Membership with the Institute of Chartered Accountants or CPA Qualifications.
- 10 to 15 years accounting experience.
- Preferably 3 to 5 years in a comparable industry with a successful track record in a multi-national organisation.
- Previous management and leadership experience.
- Knowledgeable in areas of budgeting, internal controls, credit and collection, general ledger maintenance, employee relations, accounting, tax and IFRS/GAAP reporting standards
- Client, customer and stakeholder focused.