The Department of Employment, Small Business and Training (DESBT) is focused on increasing economic participation by providing the trusted advice and support that enables both sustainable small business opportunities and a skilled workforce now, and into the future. The department has an important role in developing, supporting and sustaining a Queensland economy which encourages and drives employment outcomes.
About the role:
Reporting to the Director-General, you will lead and influence policy initiatives and programs at a whole-of-government level to support small business, training and employment outcomes across Queensland.
Leading a diverse and complex division in an emerging department, the new DDG will provide input and support on a wide range of policy implementation and strategies including regional and place-based initiatives, which align and build commitment to the department's strategic direction.
As a member of the department’s Executive Leadership Team and Board of Management, accountability will include fostering a culture of engagement with the community to develop insights and provide continuous feedback into the department and government, while building internal capability and embedding superior performance management processes. You will be required to cultivate strong and effective relationships with local, state and federal agencies, industry representatives, employers, small business owners and with key stakeholders across all regions in Queensland to build commitment to the long-term growth of Queensland’s small business and training sectors to drive employment and other economic outcomes.
The role has six direct reports, including three Executive Directors (Customer Experience, Service Delivery and Jobs Queensland Secretariat) and is responsible for a workforce of approximately 330 FTEs, across seven regional offices.
Key skills and experience required:
To be considered for the position, you will be a strong people leader who demonstrates extensive experience and record of achievements in leadership roles, demonstrating a passion for customer service, change and innovation.
Success factors in this executive leadership appointment also include:
- demonstrated exceptional organisational leadership at a sector level, working collaboratively with external and internal partners to translate strategy into meaningful action;
- actively encouraging and supporting the inclusion of diverse viewpoints of colleagues, community and partners in policy and strategy development;
- maneuvering through complex political situations effectively;
- driving change agendas in an environment of complexity and ambiguity through timely communication and strategic support mechanisms that allow people to thrive; and
- fostering a workplace culture where all individuals share a personal responsibility for promoting the physical and psychological health and safety of others, demonstrating exceptional personal conduct.
This role presents you with an exciting opportunity to work within an emerging, agile and diverse organisation who are committed in recognising and enhancing the important relationship between employment outcomes, sustainable small businesses and a skilled workforce to the wellbeing of Queenslanders and their communities.
For a strictly confidential discussion about this unique and exceptional opportunity, please contact Callan Raine, Associate Director - Executive on (07) 3054 1143 / 0411 686 652. Alternatively, submit your application via the apply button, or email firstname.lastname@example.org