Formed in 1979, Bicycle Queensland (BQ) has developed and evolved to become Queensland’s peak cycling advocacy organisation, promoting ‘More People Cycling More Often’ by meeting regularly with politicians, the community and key planners to advocate for better cycling infrastructure in Queensland. The organisation provides advice and support on cycling facilities throughout the state and supports programs encouraging cycling and making riding a bike accessible to more people in Queensland.
In 2019, BQ began the important work of expanding their advocacy to encompass new services and programs, driving outcomes through collaborations and partnerships. BQ are committed to canvassing community views, investigating perceptions and trends, and informing public policy development across all levels of government. With over 18,000 financial members, BQ have engaged in research and translated their findings into practice, showcasing cycling’s transformational power as an uplifting force for community and individual health.
About the role:
The Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for the oversight of BQ’s day to day running of the organisation as well as outlining the strategic direction in collaboration with the Management Committee. This pivotal executive role will grow and develop the organisation through the next stage of its existence; dealing with changes in the cycling world, growth in digital engagement and growing and evolving its membership. The role should drive a greater awareness of bicycle riders’ needs and the encouragement of more Queenslanders to cycle more often.
Based in the BQ Brisbane office, this full-time position will report to the Management Committee and will work with the BQ team as well as external contacts; politicians and local government bodies, partner and supporting organisations, media stakeholders and members.
Specifically, key accountabilities include:
- Provide leadership to develop and continually reinforce the Vision (Strategic Direction), and Values (Culture) of the organisation;
- Being the peak bike riding advocate to ensure State and local Government are investing in cycling and that Queensland is at the forefront of developing and adopting best practice transport initiatives and strategies;
- Being a key interface with Federal, State and local Government to ensure cycling’s interests are taken into account in many areas of law & regulation, policy adoption and infrastructure development;
- Preserve the qualities that make the organisational successful. Being at the forefront in the development and adoption of new ideas to promote cycling, engagement strategies and profile-raising activities, and cycling events;
- Overseeing funds management, revenue streams and event management;
- Effectively manage the relationships between the organisation and key stakeholders, seeking input on key issues as appropriate;
- Being very astute with strong commercial awareness, ideally experienced in a Not For Profit or members’ organisation, or engaged in delivering of community, welfare, health or education programs;
- Having a passion for getting more people cycling and understand the needs of the broad cycling community; and
- Enhancing BQ’s reputation and ensure that the members’ views, ideas and best interests are always paramount.
Key Skills Required:
To be considered for the position, you will be a proven people leader who demonstrates extensive experience and record of achievements at a CEO or similar level across the Not for Profit or Commercial industry sectors. You will have solid leadership and emotional intelligence skills with demonstrated ability to engage others, to understand and embrace organisational culture, directions, goals and client service ethos.
Your strategic commercial capability and experience as a senior leader are underpinned by your superior presentation and communication skills, with a personal presence and the ability to act confidently as the public spokesperson for the organisation.
Demonstrate integrity in all dealings; be honest and open; listen to and consider stakeholder views; demonstrate empathy; and act in a way that reflects the culture and values of the organisation. Exceptional stakeholder relationship skills will be critical for this role as you will need to develop and foster relationships with key stakeholders such as Government and other industry bodies.
Ability to identify opportunities for change and lead improvement initiatives along with a strong governance and risk compliance skill will be needed for this leadership position.
For a strictly confidential discussion, please contact Callan Raine, Associate Director - Executive on (07) 3054 1143 / 0411 686 652. Alternatively, submit your application via the apply button, or email email@example.com